Why Michael Gregory rules
Posted by Martin Poulter on 24 April 2009
Following on from the previous post, I’d like to introduce my latest short-duration hero and role-model.
- His songs are as melodic and soulful as anything in the charts.
- He’s comfortable with the trappings of 80s synth-pop as well as rap and r’n’b.
- He uses music to make people laugh.
- He uses humour politically, mostly against the loony US right.
- He wouldn’t have become a celebrity in the mass media era, but now thanks to YouTube his rise is inevitable.
- He adds cowbell.
There are still eight months to go, but I’m counting on either him or Jon LaJoie to write the defining song of 2009.